Thursday, December 9, 2010

Wear Sunscreen and Keep the Faith

Last night was K's graduation from Airman Leadership School.  It is a six-week course that every enlisted person in the Air Force must go through in order to become a Staff Sergeant.  It's difficult to convey the importance of this to anyone without military experience, but basically, it's a big deal.  Staff Sergeant is the first rank you have to test for (in the Air Force... the other services all do promotions their own way) and you get one chance a year to take that test.  Other things factor in, like job performance and decorations (medals and awards).  Testing is in May, the promotions list is released in August, and if you are on the list you will be promoted sometime within the next twelve months depending on how high you are on the list.  But before you can officially be promoted you have to go through ALS.

ALS is a six-week course in which you are bombarded with coursework, volunteering, projects, physical training, marching, study groups every weekend, hours of homework, etc.  If you don't have time management skills, you'll sink, but the point (and there's always a point) is to teach you time management and how to be an effective leader in the Air Force.  They learn a million different things about the Air Force, it's history, rules and regulations, and supervisor duties.  It's tough for the students and their families because you don't get to see other much.  K would leave at 6:30, come home at 5:30, eat whatever dinner I would made him, then disappear into the office to do homework until 9 or later.  The only good thing about it was that we got up at the same time in the morning so we got to have breakfast together every day.  I'm going to miss that when he's back on his regular work schedule.

The graduation is a big, traditional ceremony and they really honor the graduates in order to emphasize their accomplishment.  All of the supervisors of the graduates are there and everyone is dressed in their formal uniforms.  It's really an amazing thing to see Squadron Commanders and Chiefs genuinely proud of their Airmen.  (I've been to many military ceremonies, and they rarely seem genuinely proud.  I'm sure they are, but it's more like they're just there for the photo op.)  During the final speech of the night, one of the Wing Commanders got up and shared what are, in his experience, the two most important parts of being a leader:  wear sunscreen and keep the faith.  He said you don't get to be as good-looking as he does without wearing sunscreen.  And you can't be a good leader without keeping the faith, because every day our country is keeping their faith in us.  Can't argue with that.

Here is some photo evidence that he did in fact graduate.  And sorry about picture quality... I took my crappy camera, and the lighting was dim.

K receiving his diploma:

Some more pictures from the dinner/ceremony:
Classmates and their instuctor

Fun facts

Totally cheesy, but I love this one.

P.S:  I just need to take a moment to say how unbelievably proud I am of my husband.  When we were younger, I always knew that he was going to join the Air Force.  His plan for his life was already set when I met him 9th grade.  He has always taken his commitment seriously and he is a damn good Airman.  Before we went into the graduation, the national anthem came on over the loudspeakers on base, and as he came to attention and saluted our nation's flag, I stood behind him and had tears in my eyes for how proud I am of him.  I feel that he is doing something truly honorable, just like the Airmen that were standing next to him, and every person who has ever served our country.  He wears that uniform with respect and honors what it stands for.  I've worn that same uniform and the first time I put it on, I almost felt unworthy.  (I had someone screaming in my face, so I didn't have time to stop and truly take in the moment, but I still remember the feeling.)  I know he is going to be a truly amazing Staff Sergeant and a great leader.  Congratulations and good luck babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment