Monday, December 6, 2010

Birthday Celebration

I am really bad at keeping surprises a surprise.  Especially when I've planned the surprise.  I just get too excited and can't hold it in.  Which is what I did with K's birthday surprise because I just HAD to tell him.  So K's big birthday surprise wasn't much of a surprise, but on Saturday night we had an amazing time celebrating his birthday properly.  (And by properly, I mean that there were no screaming cupcakes or leather steak.)

I planned us a night on the town with dinner at a Japanese restaurant called Japonais (and is pronounced "Japanese" - they're really thinking outside the box) and then to see comedian Ron White performing at the Mirage.

All dressed up and ready to go...



Japonais was AMAZING.  The food was delicious and the restaurant itself is beautiful (you can see some pictures of the restaurant at their website, it's stunning).  We ate Lobster Spring Rolls, Miso Soup, Cashew Chicken, Veggie Fried Rice, and Yellowtail Scallion Rolls (which K declared he had to have because he didn't know what yellowtail scallion was, but it sounded delicious... and it was).  I would have taken some pictures of our food, but it was a fancy place and we were trying to fit in.

After dinner we went to watch Ron White.  If you're not familiar with him, you can check out his website here.  He's in the same genre of comedy as Bill Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy.  He is famous for drinking Scotch, smoking cigars, and cussing up a storm while performing.  K and I both like him and we were very excited.  He had us cracking up the whole time and my cheeks hurt from laughing non-stop for two hours.  At one point in the show, he was mid-joke when he looked to the side of the stage and seemed distracted.  He told us he was watching his dogs wrestle, and then he called out two adorable French bulldogs that continued to wrestle behind him for a few minutes, completely oblivious to the hundreds of people watching them.  This is the theater before the show (we were towards the back, but it was a small theater, so we still felt close):


K didn't celebrate his birthday much when he was a kid, so he doesn't have too much to compare it to, but he said it was his second best birthday ever.  I guess I did a good job.  (In case you were wondering, his 21st birthday topped the list.)

1 comment: