Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day Happenings

Before I even get into this, I will proudly say that I LIKE VALENTINE'S DAY.

(But don't worry, I'm not one of those girls and I see this day as a two-way street... I certainly don't expect to showered in candy, flowers, and gifts while he's left with a simple card and a hug.  I also don't expect candy, flowers, and gifts... but I won't turn them down!)

In the 7 years K and I have been together, we've only spent 3 Valentine's Days together.  Maybe this is why I like Valentine's Day and maybe the novelty will wear off someday... but I wouldn't count on it.  K probably wishes I would get over it, but I think he secretly likes it.

I mean, what guy wouldn't like all this:

On Saturday evening we got massages and a little pampering at a local spa.
On our way to get massages.  (K was on the phone and refused to
hang up for a picture so he made a weird face instead.)
Then we got up and made Monkey Bread and mimosas for a fabulous breakfast.
Yum!
And I made K one of his favorite meals for dinner, Chicken Adobo and sticky rice.
It may look weird in the photo, but it is DELICIOUS.

I'm sure I will always love Valentine's Day.  I have fond memories going all the way back to when I was little.  When I was in elementary school I looked forward to paper mailboxes filled with cards and candies.  I liked finding the perfect box of cards and writing my classmates names on each one.  When I was older I liked making my own cards for my friends.  Now that I don't live with my parents I look forward to my yearly Valentine's Day package in the mail, filled with my mom's Chocolate Salad (a mix of chocolate candies) and other various treats.  And in my adult life I've never had to treat it as a 'Singles Awareness Day' because I've been lucky enough to have K as my valentine since I was 18.

So all of you Valentine's Day Scrooges can say what you will about manufactured holidays and greeting card company conspiracies, but this is one girl you will not convert to the dark side.

No comments:

Post a Comment