Friday, April 1, 2011

I am unemployed.

Wednesday was my last day at my job.  After talking things over with K and my family, I decided that I would leave my job and move back home while K is "playing in the sand".  We're quickly approaching our last day in Vegas, and now that I'm done working, everything seems to be happening very quickly.

Anyway... for those of you that don't know, I was working for a car rental company as an assistant to one of the managers.  I worked in the Maintenance department and to quickly sum up my job, I handled all of the damage claims for ALL of our vehicles... about 5,000+ of them.  So, every time you crazy tourists came to Vegas and rented one of our cars and brought it back in less than ideal condition, I dealt with it.  This may not sound very fun, but the truth is, I saw some pretty weird accident reports.  As a last goodbye to my job, I thought I would share a few of the more memorable accidents with you.  Here they are, in no particular order:

1)  A vehicle was returned to us with the front passenger window shattered, and a giant rock sitting in the front seat.  The customer wrote on their accident description "I was driving when a rock flew off the hill through the window and it broke my arm."  Okaaaaay.

2)  One customer thought they could pull one over on us by painting over the damage they did to our vehicle... with a different color paint.  Sorry dude, we aren't all colorblind.

3)  A vehicle was towed back to our lot in pretty bad shape.  The entire front left and rear left of the vehicle were smashed in.  The lady who rented the car told us that she swerved to avoid a cow... and ended up hitting it... twice.  (And there was hair stuck to the car... yuck!)

4)  Another vehicle was towed into the lot completely wrecked.  It had rolled a few times, and the lady who rented it ended up in the hospital.  We heard that she would be alright, but she was definitely confused about what happened in the accident.  She was very adamant that she was side-swiped by an 18-wheeler and pushed over a cliff/hill.  Well, after further investigation (and the official police report), it was determined she was in a single-car accident.  There was no one else around... no other vehicle, and certainly not an 18-wheeler.

5)  Some of the simplest accident descriptions really are the best.  Here are two that really summed up what happened:  a) "I fell asleep.  And hit a wall."  and b) "I was driving on the road and then smack."  It doesn't get any simpler than those.

Overall, it was definitely one of my favorite jobs that I've ever held.  I had an awesome boss who I got along with really well, and my own little office which was kind of amazing.  I'm going to miss it, but it's time to move on to new adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes for this next stage of your happy journey!

    My family wreckd a rental car once when we were in Wisconsin. There was this hairpin turn and it was dark and we flew into the guardrail which was over a cliff. Scariest moment of my life. I never thought about the person dealing with the after stuff....but it was someone like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh. :) Congrats on your new adventures and I think time will definitely fly if you're spending time back home with family instead of counting the days til Karl comes back. Just stay busy and enjoy the time with your family.

    ReplyDelete