Saturday, June 18, 2011

I'll Pencil You In...

For the first month or so after moving back to California, I was really bored.  I didn't have much to do, so my days were mostly creating errands for myself, zoning out at my computer, and watching TV.  Of course I did other stuff, but my days were never really full.

But all that changed this week when I started school AND my job in the same week.

Now I'm really busy.  I should be doing a million other things right now that don't include blogging, but I needed a break from homework.

My classes at the junior college started.  I am taking Intro to Pharmacy Technician, Medical Terminology, and Medication Administration for a grand total of 8 units.  And yes, it is the summer semester so I have all of that crammed into 6-8 weeks of class.  Instead of easing my way back into school I'm doing a cannonball right into the deep end.  A few people have told me I'm crazy, but I like to think of it as ambitious.

I also got a job at an awesome little coffee shop right across from the school.  But this is no ordinary coffee shop.  It is owned by an organization that runs rehab programs for teens, which means the coffee shop is their vocational training center.  I do have to know how to make all the drinks/prepare food/run the register and all the other typical coffee-shop duties, but 90% of the job is mentoring the teens that come in throughout the day as part of their treatment.  We teach them job skills and how to work in the coffee shop so they will have some useful skills after treatment.  I've only been there a couple of days and I'm still adjusting to the VERY early mornings (I have to be there at 5:30 am), but I'm really excited about it and I just hope that aside from being a good employee, I can be a positive role-model for the kids.

I'm finding the only way to stay on top of this hectic schedule is to stay very organized and tracking everything in my planner.  I'm not available to video-chat with K whenever he is available, so even he has to be scheduled in to my days.  The great part about being so busy is that my days are flying by.  I catch myself wishing the time would slow down a bit so I could get my homework done, which I never would have done a few weeks ago.

If you don't hear from me much over the next month or two, you know where I'll be... with my head in a textbook, or making coffee with some kids, or sleeping.

2 comments:

  1. Nooooo, I need my updates! BLOG MORE!!! :)

    PS - I'm happy you've found somethings to keep your days flying. Are you looking to become a pharm tech?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is my plan! And I'm hoping that someday I will get to go to pharmacy school to be a pharmacist, but we'll see what happens! And I will try to keep updating regularly.

    ReplyDelete