Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Air Force Love

I have encountered many a terrible Commander in my Air Force history as both an Airman and the spouse of an Airman.  Not to cast a shadow over all of the good leaders myself (or K) have had, but mostly they have left a certain bitter taste that makes me expect them to be uncaring and unreachable to their Airmen and spouses.  But yesterday, K's Commander did something which reminded me that even though I have had some bad experiences, there are leaders in our military that genuinely care about their troops and their families.  He reminded me that they are people too, and that they can show concern over the well-being of those they are charged to lead.

What did he do?  He sent me a handwritten letter regarding K's deployment, and I would like to share it with you:

S-
   Thank you for the sacrifice you & K are making for the Air Force and for our country.  I know it is not easy to send a loved one so far away, especially when they could potentially be placed in harm's way.  Please know K is well-trained & well-equipped to handle his duties while deployed, and, even though it may not seem that way now, he will be back home soon.  I know you are very proud of K, as am I.  If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call me.

                                                                                                                   -Lt. Col. S.W.

As simple as it was, the fact that he even took the time out of his day to write this meant so much to me I actually had to read it a few times to savor the gratitude I felt.  I read the note to K that night while we were video-chatting and he felt the same way.  He commented that it was pretty extraordinary for his Commander to do that, considering he wasn't even sure his Commander knows who he is (and certainly doesn't know me).  

I've found it to be much more of a challenge to be a military spouse than I had anticipated, but I am so glad to know that there are members of our military leadership that take us spouses into consideration.  I wouldn't say the bitter taste is gone, but it has remarkably improved.

2 comments:

  1. That letter is so very considerate. Such seemingly small things can make such a huge difference. I am so glad you guys get to video chat! So much better than the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats so amazing and i'm glad it helped to change some past bad experiences you've had. Sounds like he's in good hands!!

    ReplyDelete